Skip to main content

The Temptation of St. Joseph [By W.H. Auden]

[From For the Time Being by W.H. Auden, about the experience of Joseph after hearing that Mary is pregnant.]

          JOSEPH
My shoes were shined, my pants were cleaned and pressed,
And I was hurrying to meet
          My own true Love:
But a great crowd grew and grew
Till I could not push my way through
          Because
A star had fallen down in the street;
          When they saw who I was,
The police tried to do their best.




CHORUS
Joseph, you have heard
What Mary said occurred;
Yes, it may be so.
Is it likely? No.

          JOSEPH
The bar was gay, the lighting well-designed,
And I was sitting down to wait
          My own true Love:
A voice I'd hear before, I think,
Cried: "This is on the house. I drink
          To him
Who does not know it is too late;"
          When I asked for the time,
Everyone was very kind.

CHORUS
Mary may be pure,
But, Joseph, are you sure?
How is one to tell?
Suppose, for instance... Well...

          JOSEPH
Through cracks, up ladders, into waters deep,
I squeezed, I climbed, I swam to save
          My own true Love:
Under a dead apple tree
I saw an ass; when it saw me
          It brayed;
A hermit sat in the mouth of a cave: 
          When I asked him the way,
He pretended to be asleep.

CHORUS
Maybe, maybe not.
But, Joseph, you know what
Your world, of course, will say
About you anyway.

          JOSEPH
Where are you, father, where?
Caught in the jealous trap Of an empty house I hear As I sit alone in the dark Everything, everything, The drip of the bathroom tap, The creak of the sofa spring, The wind in the air shaft, all Making the same remark Stupidly, stupidly, Over and over again. Father, what have I done? Answer me, father, how Can I answer the tactless wall Or the pompous furniture now? Answer them...

GABRIEL
No, you must.

          JOSEPH
How then am I to know
Father, that you are just?
Give me one reason.

GABRIEL
No.

          JOSEPH
All I ask is one
Important and elegant proof
That what my love has done
Was really at your will
And that your will is love.

GABRIEL
No, you must believe;
Be silent, and be still.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Massacre of the Innocents [By W.H. Auden]

[From For the Time Being,  by W.H. Auden] HEROD One needn’t be much of a psychologist to realize that if this rumor is not stamped out now, in a few years it is capable of diseasing the whole Empire, and one doesn’t have to be a prophet to predict the consequences if it should. Reason will be replaced by Revelation. Instead of Rational Law, objective truths perceptible to any who will undergo the necessary intellectual discipline, and the same for all, Knowledge will degenerate into a riot of subjective visions—feelings in the solar plexus induced by undernourishment, angelic images generated by fevers or drugs, dream warnings inspired by the sound of falling water. Whole cosmologies will be created out of some forgotten personal resentment, complete epics written in private languages, the daubs of school children ranked above the great masterpieces. Idealism will be replaced by Materialism. Priapus will only have to move to a good address and call himself Eros

Works of Love XVIII: “Love for the Dead”

[From Part II, Chapter IX: “ The Work of Love in Remembering One Dead ”] “Weep less bitterly for the dead, for he is at rest.” Sirach 22:11 (NRSV) [1] With chapter 9 of part 2, Works of Love is beginning to come to a close. With entry 17, this blog series is also nearing its end. As Kierkegaard has given us a detailed view of what Christian love is supposed to look like, now he gives us a way to test the purity of our own love: look at the way you love those who have died. [2] We are to love everyone, and loving means remembering, and so we are to love the dead. But loving those who have died is a special circumstance, and it shows us what kind of love we are showing. If we reflect on the way we love the dead, we can see whether we are showing truly Christian love. Kierkegaard identifies three ways that love for the dead is unique. First, he says that showing love for the dead is “a work of the most unselfish love.” He writes, “If one wants to make sure that love is